February 05, 2009

first pregnancy related purchase.

Two books. I am sure you were hoping for something magical and unique... not so much. I will save those for later on in the pregnancy with LL 2.0.


I purchased "The Belly Book" by Amy for me. So cute. The Belly Book is organized by trimester and includes pages for “time-lapse” belly photos and ultrasound images, as well as prompts for writing about morning sickness, food cravings, maternity clothes you never want to see again, and oodles of more fun stuff.

So I asked DH last night if I got him a book on being a new dad would he actually read it. To my surprise, he said yes. I love you DH! I searched Amazon for a book written by a man for a man. I figured DH would appreciate the real mans perspective on fatherhood as opposed to one from a woman. I found him "The New Dad's Survival Guide: Man-to-Man Advice for First-Time Fathers" by Scott Mactavish. My nestie girls will appreciate the use of acronyms throughout the book.

" Mactavish presents a useful-though by no means comprehensive-guide for any dad-to-be who doesn't care about details and just wants to learn what's going to happen when his partner gives birth and how he should go about changing a diaper. The author is no doctor; he's "just a dude who's been through it twice," and his lingo-"BCF" means "be cool, fool" (borrowed from Mr. T.); "FPP" is your "female parenting partner"; an "NFU" is a "new family unit"-is appropriately casual. The book covers the most basic of parenting skills from birth through three months, with a few toddler tips thrown in. It's humorous (or insensitive, depending on one's point of view) in its approach. For example, on postpartum depression, Mactavish warns "PPD is a beaucoup serious condition that can have a devastating effect on the FPP." Although most of the book's advice seems quite obvious, tips on assisting a partner in labor ("offer back rubs on a consistent basis"), helping a baby pass gas (or "dislodge an air biscuit") and preventing diaper rash ("keep the butt dry after bathing") will be of use to any new father."

No comments:

Post a Comment